Tuesday, May 6, 2008

50/50 E85 Gas Mileage

Controversy abounds on the internet when one discusses the differences in gas mileage when running E85 versus regular unleaded 87. In an effort to cut through such controversies, I test them out on my car.

I've been filling up with 50/50 E85/Regular, and on my second tank of the mixed fuel, I got about 21 miles per gallon. My average for the 2004 Grand Prix GT on regular unleaded was 24 miles per gallon. (3 mpg difference /24 mpg original) x 100% = 12.5% lower mileage using the 50/50 E85/Regular blend.

This means a full tank of 50/50 E85/Regular will get me 294 miles, while a full tank (14 gallons)of unleaded gas will get me around 336 miles, a difference of 42 miles. Is that 42 miles worth handing my money over to US farmers and businesses rather than OPEC? Undoubtedly, yes.

2 comments:

Buzzcut said...

If you are on your second tank of E85, using a 50-50 mix, and have not gotten a CEL, you are good to go.

Search my blog, I have a post with a study done on various non-flex fuel vehicles. They got a Camry to run 60% ethanol without a CEL. An Impala was good at 50%, and a Fusion was good at 40%.

Josh said...

buzzcut -

I'll definitely check out your blog. It's cool to see other people trying to run E85.

Do you know anyone in our area with a scanning tool? I'd love to fill up another tank of 50/50 and read my car :)