Saturday, May 3, 2008

Proprietary Sucks

Having read that switching to E85 has a tendency to clog your fuel filter after the first 600 or so miles, I decided to be smart and replace my filter before problems arose. Imagine my surprise when I found out that Advance Auto Parts doesn't sell a fuel filter for a 2004 Grand Prix GT at any of their stores.

Nor does anyone else.

The kind woman at Advance Auto informed me that GM decided to put the fuel filter inside (or on top of) the gas tank on all new models - so if the fuel filter has to be replaced, you have to bring it into the dealership and pay them exorbitant amounts of money to do so.

Real lame. Fortunately, someone at the E85 forums told me the fuel filter clogging usually occurs on older cars that have been running cheap unleaded for decades. We'll see...

1 comment:

Buzzcut said...

That's weird. I just changed the fuel filter on my wife's Chevy Venture. It wasn't in the tank, that's for sure!